How Can I Legally Change My Name?

25 Jul 2020

By Brown & Hobkirk, PLLC

In News

In Arizona, you must fill out an application requesting that your name be changed and file it with the superior court. You will also be required to attend a court hearing. The main purpose for the hearing is to ensure that you are not changing your name as a way to avoid criminal charges or to avoid the payment of a debt. It also gives any interested parties the opportunity to voice any objections to the name change.

Once your name change request has been approved by the court, you will need to notify all interested parties in order to ensure that they update their records. These can include, but are not limited to, state and federal government agencies, creditors, and financial institutions. In addition, you will want to update your critical documents, such as wills, trusts, and powers of attorney, so that they remain valid.

The experienced attorneys at Brown & Hobkirk, PLLC can help guide you through the entire legal process of changing your name. Contact us today for a free consultation!